A delicious chicken and cheese recipe from authentic France!
Country Chicken Fricassee with Port Salut
- 4 x skinned chicken breasts (cut into thin strips)
- 2 leeks, trimmed, washed & cut into thin slices
- 2 x spring onions (sliced)
- 2 x carrots (peeled & chopped)
- 1 clove of garlic (peeled & crushed)
- 100g chestnut or button mushrooms (sliced)
- 100g Port Salut (thinly sliced)
- 50g Port Salut (cut into cubes)
- 50g breadcrumbs
- 75ml double cream
- 25g butter
- 1 bunch of chives (chopped)
- 4 slices of wholemeal bread (cut into fingers)
- 25ml olive oil
- 1/2 tsp dried herbs
- 1/2 glass white wine
- 1 tsp paprika
- Heat a griddle pan, brush the chicken strips with a little olive oil and season with salt, pepper and paprika.
- Char-grill the chicken until well coloured and cooked through, remove from the pan and keep warm.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over a low heat and then add the carrots, leeks and spring onions and sweat until tender.
- Add the garlic and mushrooms and continue to cook until the mushrooms are tender and soft.
- Add the white wine and cream, and bring to the boil.
- Add 100g of Port Salut (thinly sliced) and simmer until the cheese is melted and the sauce is thick, and then sprinkle in the chives.
- Add the strips of chicken and stir until coated with sauce.
- Place in an oven proof serving dish and set to one side.
- In a bowl combine the remaining 50g of Port Salut (cut into small cubes) with the breadcrumbs and scatter over the top of the dish.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven (160°C) until the crumbs are crisp and golden and the cheese has melted (approx. 15 minutes).
- For the wholemeal croutons – place the bread fingers on a baking tray. Brush with olive oil and dried herbs and season with cracked pepper. Heat until crispy and garnish the chicken with these.
- Enjoy this delicious French chicken recipe with friends!