A delicious chicken and cheese recipe from authentic France!
- 4 x skinned chicken breasts (cut into thin strips)
- 2 leeks, trimmed, washed & cut into thin slices
- 2 x spring onions (sliced)
- 2 x carrots (peeled & chopped)
- 1 clove of garlic (peeled & crushed)
- 100g chestnut or button mushrooms (sliced)
- 100g Port Salut (thinly sliced)
- 50g Port Salut (cut into cubes)
- 50g breadcrumbs
- 75ml double cream
- 25g butter
- 1 bunch of chives (chopped)
- 4 slices of wholemeal bread (cut into fingers)
- 25ml olive oil
- 1/2 tsp dried herbs
- 1/2 glass white wine
- 1 tsp paprika
1. Heat a griddle pan, brush the chicken strips with a little olive oil and season with salt, pepper and paprika.
2. Char-grill the chicken until well coloured and cooked through, remove from the pan and keep warm.
3. In a large saucepan, melt the butter over a low heat and then add the carrots, leeks and spring onions and sweat until tender.
4. Add the garlic and mushrooms and continue to cook until the mushrooms are tender and soft.
5. Add the white wine and cream, and bring to the boil.
6. Add 100g of Port Salut (thinly sliced) and simmer until the cheese is melted and the sauce is thick, and then sprinkle in the chives.
7. Add the strips of chicken and stir until coated with sauce.
8. Place in an oven proof serving dish and set to one side.
9. In a bowl combine the remaining 50g of Port Salut (cut into small cubes) with the breadcrumbs and scatter over the top of the dish.
10. Bake in a pre-heated oven (160°C) until the crumbs are crisp and golden and the cheese has melted (approx. 15 minutes).
For the wholemeal croutons:
1. Place the bread fingers on a baking tray. Brush with olive oil and dried herbs and season with cracked pepper. Heat until crispy and garnish the chicken with these.
Enjoy this delicious French chicken recipe with friends!